Click here for more information about Spark or to get started. Below are the instructions you need for the one-time setup of your export file in CarolinaMLS.
Please contact us immediately if you ever experience a problem with the listing information not being entered correctly into your report.
Creating a Custom Export for use in the CarolinaMLS Matrix system
MLS export files that are uploaded to Spark must be in a specific format in order to provide both accurate data and all possible fields.
Follow the instructions below to complete the one-time setup for Spark in the CarolinaMLS Matrix system. Contact us here if you have problems with the file setup and we will be glad to help.
- Hover your mouse over 'My Matrix' and select 'Settings'.
- Click on 'Custom Exports' then click on 'Add Export'.
- Name the export 'Spark'.
- IMPORTANT: Verify toward the bottom that 'Label' and 'Comma' are chosen. No need to enter a description.
- Click on each of the following categories individually and click 'Add' after each one. Once you are done, the categories will appear on the right side of the window. I realize the list is long but once this is set up in your MLS you'll never have to do it again although if you plan on using Spark for importing rentals you will have to repeat this process for the Rental export setup.
- Architectural Style - Not for RENTALS
- Auction YN - Not for RENTALS
- Baths Full
- Baths Half
- Beds Total
- Close Date
- Close Price
- Community Features - Not for RENTALS
- County Or Parish
- Doors Windows - Not for RENTALS
- Exterior Features
- Fireplace YN
- Foundation Details - Not for RENTALS
- List Price
- Listing Contract Date
- Lot Features - Not for RENTALS
- Lot Size Area
- MLS Number
- Original List Price
- Ownership Type
- Parcel Number
- Porch - Not for RENTALS
- Postal Code
- Price Change Timestamp
- Property Sub Type
- RENTALS ONLY - Property Sub Type Secondary
- Property Type
- MULTI-FAMILY ONLY - Number of Total Units
- Seller Contribution - Not for RENTALS
- Sold Terms - Not for RENTALS
- Special Listing Conditions - Not for RENTALS
- Sq Ft Basement - Not for RENTALS
- Sq Ft Total
- Sq Ft Unheated Basement - Not for RENTALS
- Status Change Timestamp
- RENTALS ONLY - Status Contractual Search Date
- Street Dir Prefix
- Street Dir Suffix
- Street Name
- Street Number
- Street Suffix
- Subdivision Name
- Tax Legal Description - Not for RENTALS
- Under Contract Date - Not for RENTALS
- Unit Floor Level
- Unit Number
- Water Heater - Not for RENTALS
- Year Built
- Once the list is complete, click 'Save' and you are done
- The custom export just created applies to residential properties but not rentals. Add another export but this time click on the drop-down that says 'Residential' and change it to 'Residential Rental'. Use the above list making sure to include the items that are for rentals.
- *See below for info on using Spark for Multi-Family properties in this MLS.
How to Export your Data
- Verify that the search you are exporting includes the sales/listings/rentals you want to put into the grid(s) of your appraisal report.
- On the results page of your search choose the listings/sales/rentals you want included (using the check box to the left) or click 'All' if you want all of them.
- Click 'Export' which is on the bottom row of buttons.
- Verify the custom export you made is selected in the drop-down which should be 'Spark' then click 'Export'.
- Save the file by whichever file name and into whichever folder you prefer (depending on browser settings you may not be given the option to choose the file name/location).
- Now load Spark by going to app.sparkforappraisers.com and follow the steps.
- *Keep in mind that, since this MLS system has a limitation of only allowing 50 fields to be exported, we were not able to export all fields. At this time, the only field that is missing is HOA fee on a condo report (which required 6 fields to ascertain accurately).
Note: Spark can input a maximum of 30 properties for each grid (sales grid/listing grid/rental grid) and a maximum of 10,000 for your 1004MC files (Competing and/or Neighborhood File).
*IMPORTANT FOR MULTI-FAMILY: Spark does not support multi-family in this MLS due to limitations in how this MLS exports multi-family data. However, there is a work-around to get some of the multi-family information into your report. First, you'll need to complete the steps above for creating an export but choose the Multi-Family type properties before the step where you click 'Add Export'. Otherwise use the same instructions as above for a residential export setup except that some fields in the list above will not exist in CarolinaMLS for multi-family properties so simply skip those fields. When that's complete simply export the information like normal and choose the 1004 form in Spark. Even though you chose 1004, Spark will recognize the multi-family data and load as much data as possible into your report given that Spark does not have full support or have access to all the multi-family data in this MLS. Keep in mind that some data, including individual unit information, will not be available and some property feature information (e.g. pools, fireplaces, etc) that works fine for SFR and Condos may not be exported from the MLS the same when it comes to multi-family. Be sure to verify all of the information.